How To Change Porsche Car Headlights
All vehicles come equipped with headlights, and it’s one item that you can’t do without. A faulty or non-functioning headlight makes nighttime driving a dangerous task that requires alertness and caution. You risk getting pulled over by the police if you fail to replace a broken car headlight.
Additionally, no one likes to be stranded on the side of the road at night, especially when the weather is terrible. You don’t have to go to the mechanic for trivial tasks like changing your car headlights. However, it is important to note that a fatal shock can be caused by the high voltages produced by the headlights. Additionally, even after the headlights have been switched off, the voltage may still run in the circuit. So you need to be careful. Scroll down to learn how to change Porsche car headlights by yourself.
Step 1: Removal of Headlight Outer Ring
- Remove the screw holding the headlight.
- Rotate the ring off the bottom edge and pull it up off the top edge of the headlight opening in the front fender after removing the screw.
Step 2: Headlight Housing and Inner Ring should be Removed
- You will find an inner ring that secures the round headlight housing in place with tiny screws. Remove them carefully. While removing the inner ring, remove the glass headlight housing. Grasp the electrical connector behind the headlight housing and pull it out.
- Make sure the electrical connector and wiring are in good condition. There is a possibility that the wiring will fray or the connector will melt. Replace if damaged.
Step 3: Bulbs and Housings for Headlights should be Replaced
- Install a new bulb in the back of the housing.
- You may need to replace the included rubber boot behind the bulb if you have one.
- It may be a little challenging to reinstall the exterior headlight ring since a new rubber seal will be thicker than the old compressed seal.
Step 4: Headlight Housings must be Reinstalled
- Reconnect the electrical plug to the back of the bulb and replace the headlight housing in the retaining bracket.
- The inner ring must be reinstalled to secure the headlight housing. Install the outer ring by hanging it from the top edge of the headlight opening, rotating down, and seating it into place. By hand, thread the retaining screw into the outer ring by pressing down firmly on the top.
- Always replace bulbs in pairs and repeat this process for the opposite side.
Step 5: Adjust the Headlights
- Your original aiming positions should remain unchanged if the retaining bracket and aiming screws were not disturbed when you replaced the headlights. It is recommended that the aiming be checked and adjusted as needed at a local service center.
- Now that your headlights are new, you can enjoy improved night vision for some years to come.
If you feel like you are not fully equipped to do this job at home all by yourself, you can always ask for help. You can even take your Porsche to your nearest service center and have the mechanic change your car headlights for you.